Why Stretch Muscles?
In many exercise programs like weight lifting for building and toning muscles or cardio vascular exercises for increasing stamina and to lose weight, most people do not perform enough stretching movements. Stretching can be performed by anyone at any age unless that person has some physical restriction to stretch.
Unknown to most people, the stretching routines involved in the Martial Arts covers all the benefits and also has anti-aging benefits!
Benefits Of Stretching Exercises For Muscle Growth
Stretching is an important aspect of the Martial Arts and should be a part of any exercise routine and program. There are many wonderful benefits when you perform regular stretching exercises. Stretching drills not only help you to warm up and cool down before and after your workouts, it can and will actually help your muscles to grow bigger and stronger too.
Stretching exercises help muscle growth because the movements lengthen your muscles and thus giving your muscle fibers a greater range of motion if you are performing the many excellent bodyweight movements of Martial Arts. So, in effect, it engages and uses more of the muscle fibres which allows your muscles to grow stronger, and more developed from the training.
By stretching your muscles after a workout, you will reduce and relieve muscle soreness commonly known as D.O.M.S. (delayed onset muscle soreness) which usually occurs 24 to 72 hours after working out.
When you stretch regularly, stretching routines will help you gain agility which will make your daily activities and routines much more pleasant and if you play sports, you will notice you are more nimble, supple, alert, and quicker is much better than others who do not stretch.
Anti-Aging Benefits of Stretching Exercises
As you age your need to be more flexible will catch up and having higher levels of agility will make your life so much more pleasurable because you will be able to avoid stiff muscles and stiff joints unlike your peers who do not stretch. You will be more mobile, agile, responsive, and will suffer from less pain associated aliments. These anti-aging benefits from stretching regularly are priceless. Benefits that money could never buy.
What is even better is that you can stretch anytime anywhere and when you like. Stretching does not need to be limited a pre and post workout activity. So, start a stretching exercise routine soon and make it part of your everyday lifestyle. You will surely enjoy the pleasures and anti-aging benefits that a regular stretching routine can bring you.
Here are some of the main benefits of Martial Arts and stretching will give you:
- Will improve your flexibility and increase your range of motion
- Helps to correct your posture by stretching tight under-used muscles.
- Reduces risk of injury when done before physical activity by preparing muscles for more strenuous activity – this is even more important as you age.
- Increases blood and nutrient supply to muscles, maintaining muscle health and strength.
- Improved circulation – Increased blood flow to muscles and joints helps to remove toxins, maintain healthy tissues, and lubricates joints.
- Can help to reduce stress and calm your mind. If you do it mindfully (i.e. not thinking about your next chore) it is a form of meditation, and gives your body a chance to relax and recharge
- As with any form of exercise, the increased blood flow to the brain will improve brain health and mental well-being
- The overall result is that your increased mobility and decreased pain enables you to stay active and enjoy a healthier life as you age.
At the Port Credit Academy of Martial Arts, we teach a way of life. For over 30 years our professional Martial Arts system is a well thought out curriculum that teaches more than just the art of self-defense. We delve deep into our students’ technique, skill set, confidence, concentration, intelligence, intuition and overall physical fitness.
The Port Credit Academy of Martial Arts has been voted the best club in Mississauga and Port Credit area since 1995 (that’s 21 years!) by the readers of the Mississauga News. In addition, the Academy was voted as the “Top Choice” for Martial Arts clubs in Mississauga for the last two years (2016, 2017). Most recently, the Port Credit Academy of Martial Arts was voted as a 2017 Mississauga South Business Star for Community Impact Excellence.
Contact us today if you’re interested in martial arts and self-defense classes and schedule your free-trial class!